Monday, February 17, 2014

Ode To Horsemen

This little painting (5x7") was inspired by French artist Honoré Daumier's "Horsemen", c. 1855.
On Facebook, there was a challenge going around to "Fill FB with art."  I was assigned to post a Daumier painting, and in turn, I came up with artists for people to post to their pages.
Having seen a Daumier exhibit at the Phillips Collection years ago, I immediately remembered his painting, "Horsemen."  It was so powerful, and it reminded me of why I love painting in the first place.
There's not much detail, but he uses dramatic lighting and evocative figures that stir the imagination.

And that's the point...for me it's all about imagination and emotion.  I like to try and paint realistically to see if I can do it, but my real talent, I think, is coming up with imaginary scenes and characters.
So I started making shapes, and they turned into horses and an imaginary landscape.  Here's to you, M. Daumier.

My 5x7 painting from imagination, and below, "Horsemen" by Honoré Daumier:







No comments: