Monday, May 02, 2011

Back to Painting: The Hunting Art Prize Gala

Well it was a busy weekend! My husband and I attended the Hunting Art Prize Gala on Saturday in Houston, TX. It was a fantastic event, and I was very honored to be a finalist. My painting, "Spiral Staircase" was one of only 113 artworks selected for the finals, out of over 1600 entries from across the state. Although I didn't win the big prize (50K), I did sell my painting and I am thrilled it is going to a wonderful home. Luckily I got a few photos to document the occasion. I didn't realize I coordinated so well with my painting, ha ha. I love that particular blue-grey; it shows up in a lot of my work.

Here I am with "Spiral Staircase."






















This photo shows the long hall where my painting was hung, before many people had arrived. There were about 1,000 people at the event that evening. On the right is a sushi bar, with chefs turning out all kinds of beautiful delicacies. There was no excuse to go hungry, they literally had food and drinks available at every turn!

















Here is a view of the hallway as we were leaving. I hope I'll be able to participate again next year. Many thanks to Hunting, PLC for sponsoring the prize and supporting the arts!

4 comments:

silvina said...

Congratulations! I didn't realize that painting was so large. Both you & the painting look modern and elegant. Very nice venue for the show too.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, Silvina! Yes the painting is huge, it's over 4x5'. We had to rent a cargo van to take it down to Houston. They did a fantastic job of displaying the artwork; it was quite an event and I was glad to be included.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Wow Leslie - you did so well. Excellence and patience pay off! I am so pleased for you. I also seem to remember this cool painting and like Silvina I didn't know it was so large. Great to have sold it at the show. It packs a real punch on that light grey wall there.

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Sheila,
It's so hard to get a sense of a painting's size from a jpeg on the internet. Even if you give the dimensions, it doesn't convey unless you have something else in the photo to show the scale.
Thanks, I am really happy with the way things went this weekend!