Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rainy Day Blues

SOLD



















I can't believe it's been two weeks since I posted anything. Time is flying by this summer; it's hard to believe we're nearing the end of August! I just returned from St. Louis, MO, where they have lots of rain (and green lawns). I sure wish some of that rain would make its way to Texas-we're in a severe drought where I live. If we can't have actual rain, this painting of a rainy day will have to suffice. It's 16x20" (no title yet). Also, I have some pictures from the St. Louis Museum of Art which I may add to this post later-I don't want to clog up my subscriber's email boxes with huge image files. More to follow!

Later that evening...As promised, here are some photos of a famous painting at the St. Louis Museum of Art. This is Winslow Homer's "Country School." I always love seeing close-ups and detail shots of master paintings, and I hope my artist friends will enjoy these. Be sure and click on the image for a larger version.
Also, the frames are works of art in themselves, and I wish art books would show them-that hardly ever happens. Enjoy!








14 comments:

ginnyntex said...

Gosh, your painting is nice. So, is the truck parked with no driver? Looks like he hopped out to make a delivery or something.

Virginia Floyd

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks! The painting is still in progress; I'll post the finished version soon.

silvina said...

the colors remind me of Whistler's mother's portrait. Beautiful greys with a spark of light and a black focal point. Nice!

Don Coker said...

The rainy street scene is absolutely wonderful, Leslie. I thought it was finished?!

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Silvina! I love working with this type of color scheme and exploring just how colorful grey can be.

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Don! It is finished; I updated my photo without adjusting my written description-better do that now.
Thanks!

Brothergrimm said...

Nice realistic quality to this one, very cool!

Don Gray said...

I thought the same as Silvina...Whistler's mother takes a walk! Beautifully done--the headlight reflections are luminous.

dbclemons said...

"...I hope my artist friends will enjoy these."
Oh, baby, baby... :drool: You bet!I'm a Homer fanatic.

So that's what wet streets look like? Nice.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks BG! I feel like it's one of my best so far.

Leslie Sealey said...

"...Whistler's mother takes a walk..." love it! ;- )

Leslie Sealey said...

David, I knew someone would appreciate the Homer painting-thanks! As for rain, who knows if we'll ever see it again in our area. Maybe if I wash my car it will rain.

rob ijbema said...

i love rainy day pictures
you caught the moosd so nicely leslie
yes we are nearly painting fall..cant wait

Leslie Sealey said...

Thank you Rob! I need to travel more often, because where I live it's just hot all the time. The scenery doesn't change much from summer to fall. It goes from dull green to dull yellow-green, and that's about it!