Monday, July 06, 2009

White Rose

Oil on Panel, 9x12"
This is more like it. I always freak out after any kind of break and convince myself that I won't be able to paint again. Mainly, I just need to slow down and think about what I'm doing! The background is painted very thinly (paint rubbed into the canvas with a paper towel). I looked at some examples from Henri Fantin-Latour for inspiration. He was a master of still life painting; I notice that most of his flower paintings are done on neutral, warm-toned backgrounds.

4 comments:

Brothergrimm said...

I like the almost bronze hint inyour background! It really makes the flower pop.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks BG, I was really pleased with the way this came together.

Don said...

This piece is stunning!

www.doncokerart.com/blog

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks! I spent a lot of time observing and trying to get the flower colors just right; glad you like it.