Monday, July 20, 2009

Serrano Azteca

SOLD

Oil on Metal-Leaf Panel, 5x7"
I found some old copper leaf sheets today when I was cleaning out my supply cabinet, so I decided today would be "Experimental Monday." Why would I have metal leaf supplies, you ask? Well, a few years ago I took on a project to cover an existing tile wall with copper leaf (renovation/remodel for an insurance agency). That's something I'll never do again; although the results were spectacular, I basically ended up doing it for free once I added up all the hours I spent laboring over it. Live and learn! Anyway, I decided to apply the copper leaf (along with variegated leaf, that's the swirly design) to one of my masonite panels. Then, I found some old serrano peppers in with my onion basket; they had turned brilliant shades of orange and red. The pattern on the metal leaf made me think of something appropriate for an Aztec queen, so this is called "Serrano Azteca." The pepper is painted trompe l'oeil ("fool the eye") stye directly on the metal leaf. It's so much prettier in person, but metal leaf is hard to photograph and this is the closest I could get.
























Here's the panel before I painted on it:

4 comments:

Brothergrimm said...

Neat way to spice up your work!

Leslie Sealey said...

Yeah! I thought it was a fun/cool idea.

Dani said...

Leslie! I adore this! I can only imagine how this must look in person, but it works for me in photo reproduction.

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Dani! It looks a lot better in person; I'm going to do more of these and see what happens.