Monday, April 13, 2009

Salon International

Here's a photo from the Salon International Awards Ceremony this weekend. I was honored to be included in this competition; there were over 1000 entries, and 347 paintings were selected for the exhibition. I wasn't one of the award winners, but my painting was one of the ones that sold. The painting is called "Sunbeam" (see earlier blog post). My husband and I attended the awards ceremony on Friday, then went back again on Saturday for the open house/champagne reception. It was a fantastic weekend, and Greenhouse Gallery did an outstanding job hosting the event. The juror was Daniel Greene, and he was very instructive and insightful in his critiques of the winning paintings. I would love to take a workshop from him at some point; he stressed accuracy and correctness in drawing. After this show, I realized I still have a lot of work to do. *There is a blank spot on the wall under my painting because they pulled that one for the awards ceremony on Friday night.


















Below is a picture from the reception on Saturday evening. The painting with the red ribbon is a beautiful landscape by a painter named Pavel Skripnichenko. I was pretty wiped out after this event, and thankfully I'll be taking a break and hanging out with my family for the next week.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Congratulations, Leslie. I am exceedingly proud of you!

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, Jan! I really appreciate that. ;- )
When I saw the quality and ability level of the accepted entries, I was pretty thrilled to be included!

Jan said...

Good thing you yourself are brimming with quality and ability! :)

Belinda Del Pesco said...

Congratulations on your inclusion in the show, and the sale of the painting! I just saw it on the Greenhouse website! Awesome news!

W. K. Moore said...

I see good fortune has crossed paths with you again Leslie. That is encouraging in times which seem a little dreary economically speaking. By the way I'm sending you a blue ribbon.. what size you prefer?

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Belinda! Thanks!

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, W.K.! Let's see...as far as that blue ribbon goes, just make sure it's big enough to cover my ego.
LOL! Just kidding. ;-)
I was seriously humbled by the ability level at this show, and I still have a lot of improving to do.

Don Gray said...

Leslie, great to see your terrific painting included in the Salon show--congratulations!

Dani Brandimarte said...

And I just saw that you're featured in American Art Collector. How successful you are!

dbclemons said...

My first reaction to your painting in the photo was how unfortunate that it had a reflection on it... (duh) oh yeah, a painted one.

I noticed on their site a few days ago that yours had sold and I was thrilled for you. Congratulations!

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, Don!

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Brandi! I've had some good breaks lately, that's for sure. It's funny; the longer I paint it seems like the more there is to learn. I still have a long way to go, but it is nice to get some positive reinforcement along the way.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thank you, David. I was especially pleased that it was purchased by someone who saw it in person at the gallery. Surrounded by all those high-caliber works, that is quite a compliment.