Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Staircase

Oil on panel, 18x24" This one is more abstract than I usually go, but I wanted to see how much I could simplify this staircase. Almost all of it is painted with a knife rather than a brush; I was also trying to make very subtle chroma adjustments to make the shapes advance or recede. I don't know if those things really translate in a jpeg image, but I was happy with the overall design and the way it turned out. There is a red/orange underpainting that peeks through as well; I thought that gave it a little more sparkle.

10 comments:

Jason Waskey said...

I like this Leslie! I think the shapes do advance and recede-- the middle greenish plane certainly seems to advance to me...

Also, I am fond of the handrail shadow...

Brothergrimm said...

I like these. When you start, the question becomes "how are you going to make stairs interesting?" But when you're finished, you see all the shapes and realize it came out pretty cool-looking.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Jason, I think the challenge of composing an abstract piece helps a lot when I go back to my usual subject matter. It gets me thinking about things on different levels.

Leslie Sealey said...

I am so glad to hear that, BG! Yes, in the back of my mind I was hoping it would be interesting to someone besides me, lol!

Candy Barr said...

It's really stunning. The muted colors with the striking diagonals.. must have been interesting to figure out as well.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, Candy! The planning was definitely the hardest part of this painting.

william wray said...

very modern , I like!

Leslie Sealey said...

Hey Bill! Thanks, I'm trying to push more in that direction-glad you like. : )

Chad W. said...

Wow. Superb...! I'm adding you to my favorites straight away.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Chad!