Thursday, November 01, 2007

"Advice From A Caterpillar"

24x30", Oil on linen
This painting is one of the reasons I haven't been posting much lately; it has taken a while to finish! It will be availble for purchase through the Wally Workman Gallery in Austin. The gallery has a theme each year for the December show, and this year the theme is "Alice in Wonderland." I chose to illustrate the scene where Alice encounters an unfriendly caterpillar smoking from his hookah.






























Here is a close-up of the caterpillar:

13 comments:

Curtis said...

Awesome Leslie!!

Leslie Sealey said...

THANKS!! : )
I stopped everything else I was working on to finish this one, so it's really nice to get some good feedback. I'm glad you like it!

sandra flood said...

Wonderful!

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Sandra!

Brothergrimm said...

I like the detail work on the hookah!

silvina said...

Love the smoking jacket. very debonair.

Leslie Sealey said...

BG, that was fun to paint! I think all the still life work with reflections really paid off and made it easier.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thank you Silvina! The smoking jacket seemed like just the right touch. : )

m collier said...

Really like the "soft" feeling of this painting -- colors are very nice.

Salamandra said...

I like this one very much, Alice seems a little older than usual, and she is standing on her toes, very interested.

Leslie Sealey said...

Salamandra, this one was a challenge-I looked at many other illustrations of this scene, and tried to make something original from it. My two favorite "Alice" illustrators are John Tennial (original) and Arthur Rackham.

KEITH LEWIS said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Great work. I especially like this one. Really like the city road scenes too. Very nice brushwork.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Keith! I was surprised it didn't sell, but now that it's at home I'm glad I get to keep it. My husband favors this one too, so I think it worked out the way it was supposed to.