Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Stovetop

SOLD

This is an 8x10" painting from life. I have been doing a lot of paintings from imagination lately, and I decided it was time to get back to doing studies from life. I timed this one and completed it in one hour, but I'll add an extra 15-20 minutes to my time (I kept correcting drawing errors before I photographed it). I still see some drawing issues, but I was happy with the color and composition. Oh, there is actually food cooking here-a big pot of beans and bacon (yum)! It's the perfect meal for a cold winter night; we are having a major ice storm right now.



























Click here to purchase

6 comments:

craigstephens said...

This one's a beauty. I love the stark limited palette.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks, Craig! I kept my colors very simple (black,white,ultramarine blue,burnt sienna, a touch of cad. red). I think it takes time to learn to use color in a subtle way.

Brothergrimm said...

I never liked being faced with having to depict shiny things. You pulled it off very well, though! I also like the bridge and parking garage just a few down. The green light on the latter gives off a slightly creepy vibe.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thank you B.G.! The shiny stuff wasn't too bad; I tried to look at it as abstract shapes; then the highlights snap everything into place. The parking garage-ha! No wonder it's nearly empty. ; - )

Scott Altmann said...

Wow- I've been missing out! I skip a few days of internet activity and you come up with 10 paintings. I love your drive and excitement you put into your images. It really comes through. Hope everything is well!

Leslie Sealey said...

Hey Scott,
Things are going fine and I hope you are doing well, too! I am working on one right now I think you'll like; it's a wizard portrait from imagination. It's a big one (for me) at 24x30, but it seems to be going quickly and I hope to post it soon.