Saturday, November 11, 2006

"RED" show December 2nd

This is a painting for a Christmas group show at the Wally Workman Gallery in Austin, TX. The theme is "Red" and each artist will be showing 2-3 paintings. We were asked to create one specifically for the show, and this is what I came up with. It is 16x20" on a gallery-wrap canvas. I did a lot of planning and working on color and composition beforehand; the actual painting only took a couple of hours. I was concentrating on being bold and confident; I did a lot of palette knife work (not my usual thing). There was also a nice old scraped-off painting on this canvas and it made a perfect underpainting. There are lots of color flecks that don't show up in the jpeg. It still needs some "finesse" but that can wait until tomorrow!

12 comments:

Collin Janke said...

Hello

I like this painting very much. the orange is great. I wonder why it needs anymore "finesse". Maybe it could just be finished.

Leslie Sealey said...

Thanks Collin, it just needs a few more touches around the window frame and it will be complete.

Karen Sempsrott said...

Hi Leslie,

I want to thank you for your kind words. Also, I want to say I agree with Collin. This painting is beautiful and I would consider it finished.

Leslie Sealey said...

Karen, I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything further with it, so maybe the painting is trying to tell me the same thing..."done." I hope you get to feeling better before long; it can take a while and I feel for you.

AngelaFerreira said...

Hey there nice work you got and you know that I LOVE TEXAS???
Yes I lived there my best year when I was an exchange student, what a fantastic place full of happy lovely people!!!
Nice to meet you Leslie, keep in touch...

bdelpesco said...

Nice painting! I bet it will be wearing a nice red sticker in no time at all at WWG. :-)

Leslie Sealey said...

Hi Angela! I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience here in Texas, and thanks for stopping by!

Leslie Sealey said...

Ooooh, I like the idea of a red sticker next to my painting, Belinda! Thanks, I have a good feeling about it and I'm looking forward to the show. It should be jam-packed; the openings at this gallery are very popular and they know how to throw a good party. : )

Jon Conkey said...

Leslie has landed!

Leslie Sealey said...

Ha ha, now she just needs someone to clean her brushes and do the laundry, so she can spend even more time painting. ; - )

william wray said...

I like it when an artist experments. There is a lot going on here, despite it's simple impression.

Leslie Sealey said...

I'm really glad you commented (and understand what's going on here), thank you! There's a lot of depth to it, even though it could be read as a flat pattern (I always like that kind of push-pull effect). There's also a lot of carefully controlled chroma (esp. the green, which was grayed down considerably) but then, there's a higher chroma, warm green above the window. Basically, lots of planning went into this one-the way it's executed makes it look easy (palette knife) but it is very deceptive that way-not as simple as it looks.